Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Winter Tilt Shift

Winter tilt shift

Yeah, I'm gonna talk about the weather, but it's accompanied by pretty pictures so I hope it's okay. I'm excited that we finally got accumulating snow on Sunday. The snow was wet and fluffy, the kind that sticks to the trees and shrubs like flocking, so I took a few photos when I stopped at the bank on my way home from work. On a whim, I used the tilt shift setting and I think they turned out beautifully.

Winter Tilt Shift

Last year was a relatively warm and un-snowy winter in Wisconsin. It was my fifth Christmas here, and the first with no snow on the ground. Two years ago this week, I messaged Trevor from Mexico, telling him it was 85 degrees, and he replied that there'd been 14 inches of snow in the past day and that the roof of the Metrodome in Minneapolis had collapsed.

Winter Tilt Shift

The lack of precipitation last winter exacerbated the drought conditions over the summer, so while it does get tiring shoveling snow and driving in it and dealing with the slush in March, I've been hoping that this year won't be quite like last year. Driving through the Midwest this summer, it was heartbreaking to see acres and acres of brown, parched corn.

So here's hoping for a white Christmas and a good layer of snow the whole winter. Though it'd be nice to avoid a blizzard for another year.

4 comments:

  1. I can't say I am really missing all that snow & cold temps. It looks pretty in pictures, but then I remember how bone-chilling it is to stand outside waiting for the bus and I'm rather pleased to be in lovely, temperate Virginia this winter. Glad you're enjoying it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. The other day my bus was 7 minutes late and it was about 19 degrees out. I haven't acclimated enough this winter to where 19 feels okay so it was terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pics are just gorgeous. I absolutely love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I wish I'd been able to take more. I'll definitely get some next time it snows, if it ever does again this winter.

    ReplyDelete